Monday, April 30, 2012

Building confidence one ring at a time

One step at a time, learn to crawl before you can walk, baby steps..nuggets of wisdom that help put into perspective that learning something new can take time.   I realize that I can't know it all on day one and that each class project is a learning experience.  But I am fortunate, I have chosen a school that accelerates learning and has put everything in fast forward for me.  Last week we were learning how to channel set (on a curved band) princess cut stones.  You may not realize that this setting is actually a very difficult task. We had an observer in class that day, a gentleman with 30 years in the jewelry business, owner of several jewelry stores, and a bench jeweler himself.  He admitted that he doesn't do channel set princess cut settings, it's too difficult for him!  Here I was after 8 weeks and I did it!  Mine came out pretty good!(picture below is straight channel princess setting - not the curved but still difficult)

I also finished up my 3 stone ring, completely hand fabricated from raw sheets and wire of silver.  I set it with 2 rainbow moonstones and a London blue topaz.  I love it and wear it every day.  Not bad for a rookie.

Honing my craft will still take years, but I am building confidence one ring at a time...

Channel set princess cut setting


  
Three stone ring with rainbow moonstone and blue topaz

Hand made three stone ring in sterling silver

2 comments:

  1. Great jot on the 3 stone ring, I enjoyed making that. Seeing all the parts come together was wonderful. I added your blog to a list of blogs I follow, on my blog page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Holly! So happy you are following your bliss.

    ReplyDelete