Thursday, April 12, 2012

Journey to Holly Blue

Love, Meaning and Motivation - by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
"The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation.
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies, know more today about the world than I knew yesterday. And lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you."

Found this great quote the other day while randomly surfing the web, in other words I was generally wasting time.  As everyone knows, much of what you read while surfing the web filters through the brain quickly and doesn't stick, but this gem resonated.  I thought it would be a great starting point for my first blog post. The wisdom in this quite has taken me a while to learn, but I now truly believe I have the power to create my own 'best life'.  I've decided to chronicle my journey from the corporate world of government contracting to the fanciful world of Holly Blue Jewelry.  For those that don't know, I left my steady, secure, exhausting yet challenging corporate job at the end of February to pursue a dream, a passion, a new life path, and of course, the elusive work-life balance. I am mid-way through a 12 week intensive jewelry program.  Knee deep in stone setting, ring building, basic repair and various other jewelry terms that I'll throw around, I'm loving the chance to exercise my right brain creativity.

Stay tuned, I'll be sharing photos of school projects shortly and writing more about this grand adventure to create Holly Blue Jewelry.
Holly


3 comments:

  1. I love the quote sooooooooooo much!!! Absolutely beautiful! Loving the journey of Holly Blue...lego by lego! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful quote! I have found that I push myself to get out there, meet people, take classes halfway across the country and it makes me so happy! I'm glad to have met you. Hopefully we can inspire each other to design and make great jewelry!

    ReplyDelete