Monday, April 23, 2012

Side Effects...

There are side effects to pursuing your dream.  I didn't really think much about them before this journey started as I tried to focus on the excitement, the congratulations and well wishes.  It was all rainbows and unicorns.  The thrill of quitting my draining corporate job, the move to a new city, the possibility of the new path were all keeping my mind busy.  Now, several months into this new life, I am feeling the side effects.  There are the physical side effects of sore back and neck from bending over a jewelry bench all day.  The eye strain from looking at microscopic stone settings under high magnification.  Oh and the rough and sore hands.  Gone are the days when I had long nails, replaced by callused fingertips and achy hands.  Then we have the mental side effects.  I had no idea that switching from a largely analytical job which included lots of writing and talking all day to a job that is solitary and mostly visual would have a negative impact on my vocabulary and ability to form sentences.  Perhaps this is one of the reasons I started this blog, just to see if I could still form cogent thoughts and write complete sentences.  Mentally I am also adjusting to my new identity.  Who am I in this new life?  Before the change, my identity was wrapped up in what I did and who I worked for as is the norm in DC...I was Holly and I worked for Booz Allen.  Most often, there was immediate recognition and positive reaction.  Many wanting to send their resumes in to me for jobs at Booz. (that part I don't really miss) Since I haven't yet finished school, nor have I gotten my company up and running, I am drifting a bit.  My sense of identity still being shaped.  Formed by each passing day as I wade deeper into this new life.  With some additional time, more confidence and much thought, I know that soon enough these side effects will wash away. 

In addition to these side effects, there have been successes and failures.  Fortunately I am only photographing the successes.  Here are a few of the recent successes:
Princess Cut settings, one of my favorites.  The numbers are
the order in which I have done them.

Channel Setting - need to improve my spacing, but not bad
for my first effort.

1 comment:

  1. The V prong princess cut settings were one of my favorites, that one clicked for me really well! Baguettes are one of my favorite stones but they were quite a challenge for me to set for some reason. Love the look!

    ReplyDelete